Sunday 30 December 2007

Recap 2007 & Thanksgivings

2007 started when with a backdrop of heartache, inconvenience, anguish, fear, hope and adrenaline rushes. In November 2006, my daughter, Shiyr, had just had the worst escalator accident in the country where she lost her right big toe. We had spent the whole November and December holidays trying to piece her, my wife's, Khai's and my lives back together. Sessions with the doctors and counselors were frequent affairs. Questions from all walks of life, especially from my school kids, parents and colleagues were sounded non-stop from all kinds of communication channels. I was made to re-live the scenes again and again until I was kind of numbed and calloused, actually it was quite therapeutic. And I did Primary 6, which is the one of the busiest level to teach.

In March we sold our unit in Sembawang and moved to Toa Payoh in late April. That too added to our stress level, as we had quite a tight schedule to fit into. I have to salute my wife who did much of the work of packing and unpacking and on top of that jugging with 3 young kids.

In the loom, God was there holding our hands, as we place our feet, one at a time, on the stepping stones He'd provided, usually 1 or a few steps ahead. There're so many thanksgiving items: 1. He'd had amazingly provided, one of the best orthopedic pediatric doctor in the country to oversee Shiyr; 2. He had provided one great housing agent for our unit, who is experienced, decisive, sharp and was asking my mom to go to church with her; 3. He'd helped us find good and cheap childcare programmes for Khen and Shiyr, which they both love to go to; 4. He helped us find good and cheap movers for our move to Toa Payoh, man were they good and fast and only at $500 for 90 over boxes!

At Sembawang we'd been finding a CG that our kids can come to and not disturb the CG meeting too much, but to no avail. And in Toa Payoh we found N268, Am so glad to find and CG that we can come as a family, and not feel bad that I have disturbed the meeting due my children, for they are occupied elsewhere just about 10 metres away from me. I want to thank God for his providence and for the CG in welcoming us, and for Kelvin who has endured much of our presence.

Just before the pledge of Arise and Build '07, my mom had a mild stroke. I and thankful for her speedy recovery, though she will never be as fast as she was prior to the stroke, but she is recovering very well. Then just before I decided to give my first 10% of the amount for A&B, Khen fell and split his lower left lip. Man, was I more than a bit upset. Last year, after we pledge the amount, and given the seed amount, Shiyr had her accident. This year's Khen. Then right after I gave some more, Khai had an accident that split 3 cm of his lower jaw. Well, I am either doing something very right or very wrong, and we are choosing to believe that the devil is really upset with our giving!

Just the Sunday before Christmas, Khen, Shiyr and Khai all developed fever one after another, with Khen and Shiyr having ulcers on their tongues. It's so painful to watch them say 'ow' and pointing inside their months. Only Khai is spared the ulcers. I am thankful that the ulcers are gone just this morning, and that they are starting to slowly eat.

The hugest thanksgiving that I have this year will be that my wife is slowly having her flame for God rekindled. 6 months in the Church and CG and I can see a difference – Passion which I have not seen for a while of being with her. Spiritually, she is growing stronger as she is well fed, within her I am seeing the flame grow, slowly, but I am seeing it growing. Ah, don't we all need that 1 touch from the Holy Ghost.

As 2007 comes to a close, I am thankful that all the physical injuries that my family had were healed well and/or continuing to heal. Much prayer and tears were poured, and I am so glad that God answers prayers.

No comments: